These amazing meatless meatballs are made with eggplant, white beans and breadcrumbs to hold them together. Not only are these low carb & gluten free they are also suitable for vegetarians and vegans although, we all love them too.
- cooking spray
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 lb unpeeled eggplant cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 cup cooked white beans (or drained rinsed canned)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs or panko use gf crumbs for gluten free
- 2 cups tomato sause- see my italian tomato sauce recipie.
- Heat the oven to 375°. Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Place 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. When hot add the eggplant and 1/4 cup water. Season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally until tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer to the bowl of a food processor.
- Combine the mixture with the breadcrumbs . Taste for salt then make into approx 12 meatballs place on baking tray and cook until brown will take about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, warm the marinara sauce and serve with the meatballs over zucchini noodles. (see recipe for italian sauce)
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!