Italian tomato sauce
The perfect tomato base for pizza and meatballs. I tend to make this in batches so i can use some for other dishes during the week.
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and finely sliced
- 3 400g good-quality tinned plum tomatoes
- 1/2 tbsp Balsamic drizzle
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Coconut oil
- Place a large non-stick frying pan on the heat and coconut oil. Add the garlic, once the garlic begins to colour lightly, add the tomatoes and balsamic drizzle. Squash the tomatoes as much as you can.
- Season the sauce with salt and pepper. As soon as it comes to the boil, remove the pan from the heat. Strain the sauce through a coarse sieve into a bowl, using a spoon to push any larger bits of tomato through. Discard the left overs in the sieve, but make sure you scrape any of the tomatoe goodness off the back of the sieve into the bowl.
- Pour the sauce back into the pan, bring to the boil, then turn the heat down and simmer for 10 minutes to concentrate the flavours. It will be ready when it’s the perfect consistency for spreading on your pizza.
- Store the sauce in a clean jar in the fridge it’ll keep for a week or so, alternitively put into zip lock bags and one cooled freeze.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!